Networking issues - Fedora 8

I've been having a weird problem with my ethernet on Fedora 8... Whenever I try to download updates, run the graphical package manager, or do something that involves equivalent amounts of network activity, something in Fedora (Don't know what, there's never any console message) decides the network no longer exists and starts returning "Destination Unreachable" for each packet. Disabling and re-enabling the Ethernet card usually fixes this until a few seconds after I resume whatever intensive activity I was doing. Sometimes however, that freezes the network services, and all terminals (tty1-5 and console windows in X) print what I assume is a backtrace. (If I can get that again, I'll send it.) I have not had this problem on any previous versions of Fedora or Red Hat Linux on this machine. This is a laptop. The Ethernet card is a VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 Rhine II.

Something else odd. On Fedora 7, on this same machine, Linux knew how to activate my wireless card. Not just enable it from the network process, but actually turn on the card and connect to something. In Fedora 8, it can't activate the card anymore, and I need the wireless working for school. The wireless card is RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI. (copied from the network configuration panel)

Has anyone else had these problems, and how do I fix them?