Re: Fedora Home Network

Joe Byers wrote:

No problem on the hijack:)  It fits the theme here.

I appreciate everyones' comments. It looks like I need look into NIS using NFS and LDAP, and later on rsync for the laptop. I have the NFS working on my linux desktop, just need to migrate the local home dir (my wife has all her bookmarksand some documents there) to the server and change the mount points as well as getting the NIS to work in conjunction.

For a few users it might be easier to just keep the uid's the same in the separate passwd files. This will normally happen if you add the users in the same order or you can force it by using the command line adduser command with -u and -g options.

The laptop I will probably set the same but with one login that does not require the NFS/NIS mount thereby letting the OS timeout on these connection if I take the machine out of the house. I do not like laptops except for convenience of flexibility to work around the house. I prefer VNC and when I have traveled in the past I carry a CD with VNC client on it so I can connect to my server securely.

I'd recommend running freenx on the server and the NX client from http://www.nomachine.com (cross platform in case any of the other machines aren't Linux) when you want to work remotely. In fact it is good enough to run all the time if you want to consolidate everything on one server and have the other machines simply log in through the NX client. Then you don't have to worry about the remote uid's or keeping anything in sync - and the bandwidth requirement is very reasonable for a wireless laptop.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx