Re: LVM and grub

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 11 February 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
With /boot on its own partition, Grub does not need to access the
root partition. This is good because Grub does not understand LVM.
The thing you have to remember when using a separate /boot partition
is that the paths that Grub uses do not start with /boot. You would
use something like:

title Fedora (2.6.23.14-115.fc8)
         root (hd0,2)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.14-115.fc8 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
         initrd /initrd-2.6.23.14-115.fc8.img

As far as Grub is concerned, your /boot directory is its root
directory. This is what the root (hd0,2) is telling Grub.
My problem was that root=/dev/VolGroup00/... was not found,
since LVM was not active at at that point.
The boot started, but failed with "/dev/root not found".

Huh? I've been booting with exactly that command line argument for quite some time now. Year (how old is FC6?) or more. Perhaps your hd(0,2) is too far into the disk and the bios is having problems? One of the many reasons the /boot partition is the first one here, and something in the back of my mind says it cannot be a directory within an LVM, but must be a separate partition.

The message would be about the kernel or the initrd not being found, or Grub failing completely if the /boot partition was too far in. This sounds more like a problem with the initrd not having LVM support, or that root is not on VolGroup00/VolGroup00.

The output of "parted /dev/sda print" would help. So would the output of lvs.

According to the Grub info page, there is supposed to be a way to use Grub with /boot on a LVM, but you lose the ability to just edit the menu, or change kernels, without re-running grub-install. You don't use a stage 1.5 and Grub loses the ability to read the file system when booting. It preforms a lot like LILO does. I would not recommend it for the average user.

Mikkel