Re: Radio streaming server

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 09:50 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Sunday 10 February 2008, Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> > Hello, Fedorians!
> >
> > I saw a topic called "Radio streaming" and I couldn't help to ask
> > myself: "How would one set up a streaming server on fedora?"
>
> > So, How would it be? OGG, AFAIK, can't be streamed, can it? What other
> > formats are there? Any particular server/app in mind?
>
> There are a number of possibilities.  If you want/need something commercial
> and supported, Helix Server (aka Real Server) is available, but expensive. I
> consult for a radio station that has had a Real Server online for nearly
> eleven years now using Real Server on Linux (originally Red Hat Linux 4.2,
> now CentOS 4).  It has been a very long time since I've looked at their
> pricing, as this station originally licensed RealAudioServer in 1997, and has
> just kept the annual support and updates current ever since then, so you'll
> need to check out the www.realnetworks.com website for details.  I see a 5
> stream version of the server is no fee needed.  You also need the
> RealProducer product to get live audio into the server.  A command line and a
> GUI Linux producer is available, but, again, for live streaming there is a
> cost.
>
> Also, there's Fluendo's flumotion server.  This one is dual licensed: the
> basic version is available under the GPL, and is in fact installable with a
> simple 'yum install flumotion' since it is in the Fedora repository.  This
> will give you the ability to stream OGG and other unencumbered formats.  If
> you want to legally stream MPEG's you'll need Fluendo's Advanced version
> which is commercial but gives you a fully legal way to stream MP3's and
> similar.  You'll need to contact Fluendo for details; their website is pretty
> short on this information.  There is also a hosted version at flumotion.com.
>
> Icecast is also a possibility, but you'll want a legal MP3 encoder for
> deployment to a real radio station if you want to use something other than
> OGG.  I do think it can stream OGG, though, but I haven't used icecast in
> production to do so as yet.
>
> Also there are performance royalties and such to worry about, but that piece
> is off topic for this list.  You could ask that question on Broadcast.Net's
> Broadcast mailing list (you'll find a lot of very helpful folks there...I've
> been a member of that list for ten years or more).
>
> Hope that helps!
> --
> Lamar Owen
> www.pari.edu

WHOA! Great contribution! Thank you so much! Well, now I see we have
plenty of options! I am just interested in the different options we
have. Thanks for the fluendo tip! It is great. And all those commercial
alternatives!

I will, some day, for my band, now that I think about it, set up a
streaming radio server for the songs of our album!... When we have 2 or
3 of them.

--
Renich Bon Ciric <renich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Woralelandia