Re: Radio streaming server

On Sunday 10 February 2008, Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> Hello, Fedorians!
>
> I saw a topic called "Radio streaming" and I couldn't help to ask
> myself: "How would one set up a streaming server on fedora?"

> So, How would it be? OGG, AFAIK, can't be streamed, can it? What other
> formats are there? Any particular server/app in mind?

There are a number of possibilities.  If you want/need something commercial
and supported, Helix Server (aka Real Server) is available, but expensive. I
consult for a radio station that has had a Real Server online for nearly
eleven years now using Real Server on Linux (originally Red Hat Linux 4.2,
now CentOS 4).  It has been a very long time since I've looked at their
pricing, as this station originally licensed RealAudioServer in 1997, and has
just kept the annual support and updates current ever since then, so you'll
need to check out the www.realnetworks.com website for details.  I see a 5
stream version of the server is no fee needed.  You also need the
RealProducer product to get live audio into the server.  A command line and a
GUI Linux producer is available, but, again, for live streaming there is a
cost.

Also, there's Fluendo's flumotion server.  This one is dual licensed: the
basic version is available under the GPL, and is in fact installable with a
simple 'yum install flumotion' since it is in the Fedora repository.  This
will give you the ability to stream OGG and other unencumbered formats.  If
you want to legally stream MPEG's you'll need Fluendo's Advanced version
which is commercial but gives you a fully legal way to stream MP3's and
similar.  You'll need to contact Fluendo for details; their website is pretty
short on this information.  There is also a hosted version at flumotion.com.

Icecast is also a possibility, but you'll want a legal MP3 encoder for
deployment to a real radio station if you want to use something other than
OGG.  I do think it can stream OGG, though, but I haven't used icecast in
production to do so as yet.

Also there are performance royalties and such to worry about, but that piece
is off topic for this list.  You could ask that question on Broadcast.Net's
Broadcast mailing list (you'll find a lot of very helpful folks there...I've
been a member of that list for ten years or more).

Hope that helps!
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu