Re: Sharing printers between Fedora machines

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 22:33 -0800, Sean Bruno wrote:
> While I thought this was a simple task, it seems that I am clueless.
>
> I attempted to share my desktop printer for other PC's in the house
> and I can't seem to figure out how to attach to the printers.  It
> doesn't seem clear from system-config-printer what I am supposed to do
> and my google for "fedora printer share how to" didn't really give me
> anything useful.
>
> Am I missing something obvious that is supposed to make sharing
> between Fedora machines painless?

Say which version of Fedora you're playing with, it'll affect the advice
you receive.  In the past, I've done this from FC4 through to 7.  It
wasn't much more than the following to get it going:

Set up a printer on one computer, allow it to be shared (the CUPS
webserver at http://localhost:631/ gives you one way to do all of
this).

Make sure the firewall isn't in the way (I added the "icp" port, using
"tcp", on the print server's firewall).

Make sure CUPS is running on all computers, and the clients will find
the server by themselves.  If all goes well, you wouldn't have to do any
configuration on the clients, unless you had more than one printer, and
wanted to choose which was the default.

Have a look at that, what you've done, and post back regarding the parts
that you could work out, and those you have trouble with.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.14-64.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.