Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

On Feb 10, 2008 5:31 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jacques B. wrote:
> >
> >> I use dar to make archive slices of my data and then use the attached
> >> script to burn and verify each slice to a DVD. The script also creates a
> >> catalog file (that you can reference for future backups/restores), a parity
> >> file for each slice and verifies the burn. I use cron to run this on a
> >> daily basis and e-mail myself when it fails (so I can change the DVD and
> >> the reference point to use the latest dar catalog file). This works well as
> >> long as your daily backups will fit on one DVD or less.
> > <snip>
> >
> > You criticized others for their solutions, yet yours also does not
> > address his needs.  You said "This works well as long as your daily
> > backups will fit on one DVD or less."  At first he was talking 1 TB,
> > so definitely not 1 DVD.  He then dropped to 50 GB, still a far, far
> > cry from one DVD (unless blue ray), and said it would be monthly.
>
> 50 GB monthly would translate to less than 1 DVD daily.

True.  I had not thought of it as a daily backup.  We don't know if
that's what the OP wants to do, or a backup once per month in which
case it would not work.  I was left with the impression that this
would be a monthly backup of 1TB, later dropped to 50GB, and
ultimately dropped to 20-50GB.  Because his very first posting had "to
a set of DVDs", it lead me to believe that this would be a single
monthly backup of that quantity of data.  Not that amount of data
spread out daily throughout a month.

Jacques B.