Re: f8 sound is driving me crazy.

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 17:16 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Aaron Konstam:
> >> Now the trouble starts. All the usual CD players claim they cannot
> >> find a sound source on the CD. The only one that works so far is
> >> grip.
>
> Paulo Cavalcanti:
> > Grip needs a cable connecting the drive to the sound card.
>
> No, it does not.  I've never used Grip in a manner where it rips sound
> through the sound card.  So, if it *can* do that, it's an optional way
> of running it.  All my ripping has been done by reading the *data* from
> disc, digitally.
>
> The only thing that I do, here, that makes use of the audio lead from
> the drive to the sound card, has been playing a CD using the gnome-cd
> player program.
>
> If you go through the configuration options for Grip, the "rip"
> configuration parts give you several options for how to do the ripping.
> Aaron, you should post back saying which options it uses that's working.
> It may help in resolving the issue.
>
> --

I don't know what options you are looking for. All I am doing is trying
to play the CD.
In the multimedia gui I use the following:
grip %d
gnome-cd  --unique --play --device %d

Only the first works but both address /dev/sr0 as the incarnation of %d

There is something really wrong with sound in f8 at least on my
hardware.

What will you do if all your problems aren't solved by the time you die?