Re: argh -- can't get wireless in someone else's house

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, John W. Linville wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 01:19:29PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, John W. Linville wrote:
> >
> > > I'd have to see more of /var/log/messages, as well as iwconfig output.
> >
> > # iwconfig
> > lo        no wireless extensions.
> >
> > eth0      no wireless extensions.
> >
> > wmaster0  no wireless extensions.
> >
> > wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"xxxxxxx"
> >           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
> >           Tx-Power=27 dBm
> >           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
> >           Encryption key:3431-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
> >           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
> >           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
> >           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> Presuming the key is correct, you might try an additional "iwconfig
> wlan0 essid xxxxxxx" (where xxxxxxx is changed appropriatedly) to
> trigger a new association attempt.  Sometimes multiple tries are
> necessary, YMMV.

ok, i'll give that a shot.

> > where the ESSID is correct and the key is the ASCII representation of
> > the 10-digit WEP key, which is precisely what can be read from the
> > linksys wireless security page.
>
> That looks longer than 10-digits to me...?  Anyway, please re-check
> the WEP key just to be sure.  You might also ensure that the key is
> configured as a hex value at the router, and not as a passphrase.
> Just because it looks like hex doesn't mean it is being treated
> that way.

i thought it looked curious as well, but it's apparently just the
"ASCII" rep of the actual 10-digit numeric WEP key:

  '34' = 4
  '31' = 1

which are the first 2 digits of the WEP key.  is iwconfig *supposed*
to print the WEP key that way?

more later.

rday

p.s.  when you run system-config-network, the dialog screen to enter
the WEP key states to use a prefix of "0x" to designate hex, but i
tried it both ways and the output from iwconfig is the same either
way.  go figure.

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca