Re: Playing DVD interfers with modem?

Ric Moore wrote:

Yeah, Digiboards. Expensive for the budget I had. I could get a cast-off
486 far cheaper and let it handle 4 modems. Linux used to work decently
with a 486 and 32 megs of memory, strictly command line. :) Ric

We could not go the multi-machine route for the main BBS. We didn't have the right license for the software to network machines, and some of the multi-player games didn't work with networked machines, if I remember right. (16 user Major BBS license.) I am not sure what got the most use - Mutants, Galactic Empire, or chat. I think we had 14 lines going at one time. We had a total of 18 serial ports. We also had SCSI drive, and a SCSI controller with a hardware disk buffer. (4 - 1 Mb SIMs.) All on a 486 machine - this was before the Pentium and the PCI bus. The funny part was that it ran on top of DOS, and would support 16 users without problems.

I played with the Linux version years later, but the BBS was gone by then. (I could not get the phone lines at my place, and Bob's wife said the BBS had to go...)

Mikkel