Re: Playing DVD interfers with modem?

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 00:19 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> When I play a video DVD the modem quits doing whatever it's doing.
> Strange. I'm running 32bit FC7 on a system with a 64bit AMD 3200 and 2
> gigs of memory. Both Xine and VLC exhibit the same behavior. I just
> tried gmplayer and it does the same thing, but the sound has static.
> That's weird, it never has before. Something else to fix. Sound on Xine
> or VLC is perfect.

Uh, are the modem and the IDE port the DVD sharing an IRQ or something?

> So, how could playing a DVD foul up the modem? Is there some type of
> streaming to the network that could grab the serial line or the ppp
> session??

I can think of two things at least...the sharing of an IRQ or some other
hardware semaphore or simply the load put on the CPU by a soft modem.
However, with an AMD 3200, I don't think that's the issue.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -