Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH unset in KDE

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 12:25 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 09:46 -0500, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> > What is unsetting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my KDE session?
>
> The login manager, I believe.
>
> Leaving LD_LIBRARY_PATH uncleared is considered a security issue.
>
> For lots more information and discussion of workarounds, google
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Don't bother asking to have this "fixed".  I already
> did long ago (when I was a naive newbie 8^)) and the answer was a firm
> and resounding No.

Uh, huh.  That makes sense.

> > I build a VTK, ParaView, ITK, and CMake nightly in my home directory,
> > and I set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~/.bash_profile to point to these
> > builds.
> >
> > This works great when I'm not in KDE but when I open a terminal in KDE I
> > must source ~/.bash_profile again to reset LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> >
> > PATH and other variables set in /.bash_profile are not unset in KDE.

bash does NOT read ~/.bash_profile unless it's a login shell or invoked
with the "--login" option.  Since the OP is launching the terminal
window (konsole) from KDE, it's not a login shell so ~/.bash_profile is
NOT being read.

Note that bash DOES read ~/.bashrc on non-login shells, so the logical
spot to put mods to LD_LIBRARY_PATH is in there if you must have it.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the OS       -