LD_LIBRARY_PATH unset in KDE

What is unsetting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my KDE session?

I build a VTK, ParaView, ITK, and CMake nightly in my home directory,
and I set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~/.bash_profile to point to these
builds.

This works great when I'm not in KDE but when I open a terminal in KDE I
must source ~/.bash_profile again to reset LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

PATH and other variables set in /.bash_profile are not unset in KDE.