Re: Good bye

Les Mikesell wrote:
Firewire is the right answer for audio, especially if you plan to move it around. I'm too cheap for that so the only thing I've added is a USB sound adapter to have a software-selectable alternate output over copper SPDF to feed a receiver. It doesn't specifically have a Mac driver but works as a standard USB audio device anyway.
Um... Has someone missed something here? I keep an eye out on various plug and wire types, because I like that sort of electronic stuff, and last time I checked Apple has continued to change the USB and Firewire HARDWARE PORTS with every few versions of their stuff. In fact, I found multiple rants from people who want to know why Apple is trying to give themselves a leg up by using Microsoft's embrace & extend on the hardware side instead of the software side. And you complain because the drivers don't work for a specific kernel version of Linux? At least the Linux guys aren't attempting to change the physical interface to give their audio devices an advantage on the market...

Apple is a horrible example of a user-friendly company, because as of late they've been learning the Microsoft technique of wresting extra cash from users and giving themselves an advantage on system development. Every time I hear someone say Mac OSX is a "true UNIX" I snicker, because generally running "real UNIX" programs in OSX requires installing the compatibility layer, because by default OSX does not support standard UNIX stuff; instead, they support specially rigged programs designed to interface with Cocoa...