Re: Good bye

Les Mikesell wrote:
Arthur Pemberton wrote:

If some entity in the community provided a repository containing, for
example, the Nvidia drivers that many users need, could said entity get
their repository configuration included in this "community based
distribution" to make installation automatic?

You do realize, that Fedora cannot do this for legal reason.

Beg your pardon? There is nothing illegal about the Nvidia drivers or providing the access that users need to them.

This is true, but part of the problem is that Livna or Freshrpms
(the two major candidates for this) could not be provided as
some of their packages could not be linked legally in the US.

I do suppose that Fedora still would not add them even if there
was a 'clean' repository[1], but that is the audience Ubuntu is
aimed at.

[1] Though has anyone looked at it?  To be honest I don't really
care either way; I think it's good that RH is a source of pressure
for OS drivers and notice that providing them hasn't hurt Intel.

--
imalone