Re: alternatives to Dell Optiplex 320 mini-tower

(http://wirelessness.wordpress.com/2007/02/07/installing-fedora-linux-on-a-dell-optiplex-320/)
> claims to have gotten fc6 running on a 320, after 19 hours of
> tweaking. I tried following his advice, but didn't get far.

I am running Fedora 8 on an Optiplex 320 and have been since Fedora 6 or so.
The first big problem was getting the installer to recognize the SATA drive.
Back in Fedora 6, it needed the "pci=nomsi" option added to the kernel boot
line.  With Fedora 8, that problem has been fixed.  It needs
"clocksource=acpi_pm" to boot.

The next big problem is that GRUB does not work with the BIOS.  Even with the
most recent version of the BIOS.  It hangs while booting.  The only solution I
have found is to use LILO.  I installed the lilo rpm from Centos 4.  Lilo works
fine and the kernel updating works.

> Now I am wondering whether anyone on the list can suggest either a
> comparable PC from Dell that will not be so annoying, or perhaps the
> whole issue has become moot since then (fc8?) and I should try again?
> The workstation 490s have given me no trouble, but they cost more.

I haven't heard of people having the GRUB issue with the Optiplex 740 and 755.

> By the way, knoppix runs fine on the 320 - what's up with that?

Knoppix doesn't use Grub.  I think the SATA support is broken but that isn't
immediately noticeable with a LiveCD.

 - Ian