alternatives to Dell Optiplex 320 mini-tower

A few months ago, I tried to install fedora on a Dell  Optiplex 320
mini-tower. After some problems and googling, I found out that this
model's bios, graphics setup, and(something else I forgot) seem to
resist mightily the idea of running fedora. People seemed to have
problems getting grub running and the SATA disk in that model doesn't
like LVM. This guy
(http://wirelessness.wordpress.com/2007/02/07/installing-fedora-linux-on-a-dell-optiplex-320/)
claims to have gotten fc6 running on a 320, after 19 hours of
tweaking. I tried following his advice, but didn't get far.

Now I am wondering whether anyone on the list can suggest either a
comparable PC from Dell that will not be so annoying, or perhaps the
whole issue has become moot since then (fc8?) and I should try again?
The workstation 490s have given me no trouble, but they cost more.

By the way, knoppix runs fine on the 320 - what's up with that?

Dave