Re: What is going on with Eclipse, and PUP?

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 17:19 +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 30/01/2008, Dan Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > ======== Eclipse ===========
> > I have posted several posts in regards to Eclipse and it seems that no one has
> > been able to address it.
> >
> > I have complained that the latest Eclipse will not work.  It does not even
> > come up at all and eclipse points you to your ~/.eclipse log file of which it
> > appears that PDE is not working and that there are several files missing.
> >
> > I have completely removed eclipse from my system (as far as I can tell) and
> > then re-installed the BASIC eclipse offered via Package Manager and yet it
> > tells me the same thing, check the log files, same errors.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me why there is silence on this?  Am I in the right mailing
> > list (For users of Fedora) regarding Eclipse or do I have to report elsewhere
> > like (Fedora Develop Java) list which I did anyway whilst this mailing list
> > shows very little or almost no activity for several days?
>
> Bug reports should be filed at http://bugzilla.redhat.com.

Yea, a bug report can be filed, but the root question still is: do the
Eclipse packages install a working app?  Does anyone have it working?

BTW, I downloaded what I use (which works) from eclipse.org and is
Version 3.3.1.1, Build ID M20071023-1652.  My system is a Dell XPS 1710,
Fedora kernel 2.6.23.9-85.fc8.  I see the filename on the eclipse site
is "eclipse-jee-europa-fall2-linux-gtk.tar.gz."

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution