Re: onboard NIC: Attansic L2

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 17:47 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2008 03:32:16 pm Rick Stevens wrote:

> > > Thanks for responding.
> > >
> > > The following are the only published options available and none of them
> > > sets the link on or off as far as I can tell.  I will try options atl2
> > > MediaType=0 and see if this helps.  The NIC is not a wireless NIC so that
> > > won't work for me.
> > >
> > > Attansic L2 Options:
> > > ============
> > > MediaType
> > > Valid Range: 0-4
> > >       0    - auto-negotiate at all supported speeds
> > >       1    - only link at 100Mbps Full Duplex
> > >       2    - only link at 100Mbps Half Duplex
> > >       3    - only link at 10Mbps Full Duplex
> > >       4    - only link at 10Mbps Half Duplex
> > > Default Value: 0
> > >     MediaType forces the line speed/duplex to the specified value in
> > >     megabits per second(Mbps). If this parameter is not specified or is
> > > set to 0 and the link partner is set to auto-negotiate, the board will
> > > auto-detect the correct speed.
> > >
> > > IntModTimer
> > > Valid Range: 50-65000
> > > Default Value: 100
> > >     This value represents the minmum interval between interrupts
> > > controller generated.
> > >
> > > RxMemBlock
> > > Valid Range: 16-512
> > > Default Value: 64
> > >     This value is the number of receice memory block allocated by the
> > > driver. Increasing this value allows the driver to buffer more incoming
> > > packets. Each memory block is 1536 bytes.
> > >
> > >     NOTE: Depending on the available system resources, the request for a
> > >     higher number of receive descriptors may be denied.  In this case,
> > >     use a lower number.
> > >
> > > TxMemSize
> > > Valid Range: 4-64
> > > Default Value: 8
> > >     This value is the number KB of transmit memory allocated by the
> > > driver. Increasing this value allows the driver to queue more transmits.
> > >
> > >     NOTE: Depending on the available system resources, the request for a
> > >     higher number of transmit descriptors may be denied.  In this case,
> > >     use a lower number.
> > >
> > > FlashVendor
> > > Valid Range: 0-2
> > > Default Value: 0
> > >     This value standards on vendor of spi flash used by the adapter.
> > >     0 for Atmel, 1 for SST, 2 for ST
> >
> > Was that the output of "modinfo attansic" or something from the source?
> > Seems rather, uh, verbose for a modinfo listing.
>
> No, the above list was taken from the man pages.  Here is the modinfo:
>
> + modinfo atl2
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.23.14-107.fc8/kernel/drivers/net/atl2/atl2.ko
> version:        1.0.40.2
> license:        GPL
> author:         Attansic Corporation, <xiong_huang@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> srcversion:     D8048A65425274B2609FDD5
> alias:          pci:v00001969d00002048sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
> depends:
> vermagic:       2.6.23.14-107.fc8 SMP mod_unload 686 4KSTACKS
> [...]

Ok, that's weird.  Both of them indicate the same thing.  The
"MediaType" option sure as heck doesn't sound like a wireless thing.
I've yet to see a wireless that can do 100Mbps.  That's a 100Base-T
(wired) type of thing.  I suspect this ain't the right driver for your
card (driver appears to be for a hard wired NIC, not a wireless).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-         Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?        -