Re: onboard NIC: Attansic L2

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 15:01 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2008 01:54:16 pm Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 13:07 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > Motherboard: P5GC-MX/1333,  onboard Attansic L2 NIC chip
> > >
> > > Earlier I reported a nightmarish experience trying to get my onboard
> > > Attansic L2 NIC working after compiling the source code for it,
> > > installing it, and so on and could not figure out why the NIC was not
> > > turning on the phyiscal link.
> > >
> > > I think I understand the symptoms but not the underlying cause.
> > >
> > > I reported in my earlier post, that I blamed the twisted pair cable but
> > > it turns out this was not the problem.  The cabled is fine.  I had to go
> > > to my garbage can to retrieve the cable I almost threw out.
> > >
> > > I can repeatedly prove (at least to myself), that under a multiboot
> > > situation, if you boot using w2000/XP, M$ turns ON/OFF/ON the link when
> > > coming up and when it is shutdown/rebooted, it disables the link.  It
> > > somehow turns the NIC OFF on reboot/shutdown.
> > >
> > > When you bootup Fedora, Fedora goes along as it normally does, probes
> > > eth0, but FAILS to turn ON the link.  You CANNOT get Fedora to bring up
> > > the link no matter what you do. The ONLY way to get the link back is to
> > > physically power off the power supply because the motherboard always
> > > get's it's power unless the PS itself is turned off and until the power
> > > drains out.
> > >
> > > Only then, you can bring up Fedora's OS and get the NIC link to work.
> > >
> > > I wonder if M$ plugs microcode into the Attansic L2 chip that renders
> > > Fedora unable to turn on the link OR the code is missing from the Fedora
> > > networking process to turn ON the link.
> > >
> > > Can someone in development look into this and let me know what is going
> > > on?
> > >
> > > At the moment, I have a temporary solution for now but I'd like to make
> > > sure no other helpless chap faces this problem like I did for weeks
> > > trying to figure this out.
> >
> > Does "iwconfig wlan0 txpower on" turn on your card?  Is there a modprobe
> > option you need?  "modinfo name-of-driver" should show you those.  On my
> > iwl4965, there's an option:
> >         options iwl4965 disable=1
> > which would turn off the radio.  By default it's on ("disable=0").
> > Perhaps yours is backwards?
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> The following are the only published options available and none of them sets
> the link on or off as far as I can tell.  I will try options atl2 MediaType=0
> and see if this helps.  The NIC is not a wireless NIC so that won't work for
> me.
>
> Attansic L2 Options:
> ============
> MediaType
> Valid Range: 0-4
> 	0    - auto-negotiate at all supported speeds
> 	1    - only link at 100Mbps Full Duplex
> 	2    - only link at 100Mbps Half Duplex
> 	3    - only link at 10Mbps Full Duplex
> 	4    - only link at 10Mbps Half Duplex
> Default Value: 0
> [...]

Was that the output of "modinfo attansic" or something from the source?
Seems rather, uh, verbose for a modinfo listing.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -