Re: package manager problems: rpm db corruption|glibc detected double-linked|etc

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 12:03 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Very good summary indeed.

Thank you.

Tim:
>> Static's usually not a problem for the assembled computer.  Though
>> there's cases of people walking up to a running computer and zapping it
>> to death, and mouse cables charging up as they're dragged about the
>> desk, they're a bit of a rarity.

> The case is usually anchored to earth and that protects the PC from the
> worst of it. I have once seen a spark flash between someone and a PC and
> reboot a box, but it survived.

Though did it survive unscathed?

I'd imagine that the worst PCs for being vulnerable could be the cheap
cases with the all-plastic front panel, with no metal behind it.  The PC
is no-longer completely inside a metal enclosure that'd offer it some
protection.  You could zap the front, and have it go *through* parts of
the computer before reaching ground, rather than having a charge go
*around* the casing and to ground.

I read messages from the public lists.