Re: request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

Reik Red wrote:

Mikkel,

I hacked the labels by attaching sdc post-boot with a usb2ide gizmo,
so now I have a workaround.

Do you have any suggestions on where to shop the idea of
"prefer same drive first match" for the label search?

Reik

I wish I did. I would think it would be built into the kernel, but it might be built into the mount command, or one of the libraries it uses. You can try doing a Google search on "partition labels" and see if that produces anything that helps.

One problem I can see if you change the current behavior is you may run into problems when booting the OS on the second disk. I can also see problems where the system is spread between disks. Something on the order of /boot on the first drive, and the rest of the file system on another drive. This is especially true if the root file system is on a drive the BIOS does not see. If you 2 or 3 partitions, on different drives, all labeled /, what one do you pick? (I even saw one case where the user had more then one installation on the same drive, and tried to convert them all to use labels, but tried to use the same labels for each distribution.)

The way I have fixed it in the past, the few times I have run into it, has been to boot a live CD, and fix the labels. You can also change labels on a running system, before you try booting with both drives. You also have the option of editing /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf on the current system to use device names instead of labels if you don't what to mess with label names. But this can cause problems if you move the drive.

Mikkel