request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

Hello,

The boot sequence of my fedora 7 (x86_32) machine hangs with multiple
messages that state

 request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
 request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
 request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

This happens ONLY when I have plugged in an extra IDE drive which contains
a copy of fedora 8 (x86_64).

I have gleaned from various web searches that the problem may be that
f7 is confused about and/or trying to execute some 64bit code from the
additional hard disk?

Does anyone know how to get around this problem (boot hanging, that is)?
There is lots of hits on the web but I have not been able to synthesize a
solution from what I find.

Reik