Re: request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

Reik Red wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Dumb question - are you using partition labels or LVM? If so, are the labels the same on both drives?

Mikkel

That sounds like a very good question, Mikkel!
Short answer is, no LVM, but there may be some partition labels
involved,

But wouldn't grub (or whoever decides these things) pick partitions
from the booted drive instead of some other drive, if they exist?

Nope - Grub uses the BIOS drive number. The kernel uses what is passed to it as the root file system, but when using labels, and finding duplicate labels, it normally uses the last one found.

On the other hand, if I insert the offending hard drive into my fedora 8
system as a third drive, the system boots without problem.

Is your F8 system 32 or 64 bit? Is it using labels or LVM? (The default install uses LVM.)

What should I look for? Labels, grub.conf or /etc/fstab?

Reik

"parted -l" will show the labels. If the 64 bit disk and the 32 bit disk are using the same labels, then usually the last label found will be used. (Partitions from the second drive.) You can also look at /etc/fstab to see if labels are being used.

Mikkel