Re: NetworkManager-0.6.0 compile error 28pre9

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Frank Cox wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:24:52 +0530
Yogesh Patil <yogesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

checking for wireless-tools >= 28pre9... no
configure: error: wireless-tools >= 28pre9 not installed or not functional
yum install wireless-tools-devel

if that's the solution, then that's a bug.  if a build needs
wireless-tools-devel, it really should be pedantically accurate about
it.

rday

Chances are, the error is from the config script in the original source archive, and it does not know it is being compiled in an RPM environment. So it generates a generic error message that is distribution independent. The person building the package has the responsibility of making sure the development package is installed.

About the only way I can see to get around it is to combine the development packages with the program/library packages they go with, eating up a lot of extra disk space for things most people do not need. Patching the config batch file to show the correct package names, taking a lot more of the packagers' time. Or educating the users building packages about development packages.

Personally, I favor educating the people building packages. But I am somewhat of a geek, and that affects my views of things.

Mikkel