Re: OT: unathorized network user.

Jacques B. wrote:
Now if only I could get it to actually mail me it's logged data.  I told
it to do so, but that doesn't work and I can't find the log files except
via the browser screen?

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin

I have the same problem.  My ISP requires that a user sending mail
authenticates first (same username & password as when retrieving POP
mail).  I suspect this is to prevent someone from using their SMTP
server anonymously to relay spam.  Unfortunately my router log
settings only have a field for the SMTP server and the email account.
It doesn't allow me to enter a username & password.  It also does not
have an option to send the logs to a central logging server.

I checked the manufacturer's web site and I have the latest firmware
that they provide.  And since it's a few years old, I don't foresee
them releasing any new firmware as it's no doubt an end of life
product.  So my options are to either log onto it regularly and use
the option to save the logs locally (onto the machine I'm using to
access the router) and then clear the logs, or nothing at all (or go
buy a new one that allows you to enter a username & password along
with the SMTP server).  I was wondering if I would be able to set up
an SMTP server on my local machine and then put that machine's
internal IP for the SMTP server setting on the router and see if that
works.  But I really don't have the time to fuss with that for a home
environment.

Sounds like you are in the same situation as me.

Jacques B.

If you enable the mail server on your Linux box, you can have it receive the mail from your router, and either put it in a local mail box, or forward it to your ISP. (The default setup will only receive mail from localhost, and does not know how to connect to your ISP.)

I am kind of surprised that your ISP will not accept an e-mail to an "local" address from a machine on its network. I can see it if you were trying to relay mail through the server, or if your IP was on one of the SPAM lists. In other words, I would expect it to handle the mail just as it does mail from another mail server that is addressed to one of its users.

Mikkel