Re: Grub problem, can't boot.

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
I know it's my own fault but can't see a way out. I made an entry to grub.conf of an F7 system that I am currently building. The purpose of this entry should be to launch BookManager. I have tried many variations to no avail and at this last time I got the idea from some grub documentation that I should code the entry as:

Title BookManager
      map (hd0) (hd1)
      map (hd1) (hd0)
      rootnoverify (hd0,1)
      makeactive
      chainloader +1

All my (stupid) attemps did not launch BookManager but did no other harm. It was not till I added the two map statements that I got the problem that after the first attempt to load BM I was no longer able to boot the F7 system. Clearly the statements had ruined my boot loader somehow. Is there a way to rectify the damage? I had not expected that this would cause a permanent damage to the system.

1. use grub's ability to edit the in-memory menu to delete and/or modify lines. 2. use the grub command line to type the commands and boot manually. One of the great things about grub is that anything it can boot, it can boot without a menu.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait