Re: X.org Keeps Dying Out Of The Blue

Brian Mury wrote:
On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 06:47 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
Mode lines are not used as previous versions of X used in the file. "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" or other resolutions were specified in the past. The standard now is for automatic detection in the screen section.

Interesting - I have this:

 Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800" "1280x720" "1152x864" "1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

What should it look like?

It looks a little bit too inclusive in my view. I usually only have the three that I mentioned. I guess it depends upon which modes that you intend to use. I don't know if they make a difference having so many or are only for ctl-alt plus or minus switching.

You might try to save your current xorg.conf file and regenerate a completely new xorg.conf file to see if there is something in your modified file that destabilizes X.

Sounds like a good idea. Is there some way to have F8 automatically
regenerate the file, like it does on installation? Or do I need to do it
automatically? I haven't figured that one out yet.

If you move the file out of the way you should get a newly generated file with system-config-display without options, adding the --reconfig option should overwrite your existing file if you copied it as a backup instead of moving the file.

Sometimes I was able to get a good xorg.conf file generated with X -configure followed by ctl-alt-backspace to stop the server. It was needed to get a good dual-head configuration file for one of my systems. The generated file is quite complex from the server and is initially saved in the /root directory named as the prompt after configuration states. I have not used it for this system and am not on the other computer to know if it is suffixed with .old, .new or another suffix.

I actually haven't seen this problem for a little while - a few days at
least. It is rather inconsistent.

henever it does happen, check Xorg..log.old for possible complaints. Maybe the errors are in a display manager log if the display manager keeps respawning.

It would help since their job reflects on knowing what causes problems and can determine problems better.
Upstream might be the best choice rather than Redhat bugzilla.

Upstream with X, I assume? I hadn't filed a bug yet because I was hoping
to characterize the problem a bit more first, but I should probably just
file it, then add more detail when I have it.

If a developer replies to the bug report, maybe they will give you some good tests for more information or options to put in the xorg.conf file for your particular computer video hardware. A good summary and the most details you have would at least start off the cause of the problem.

Jim