Re: Remote Desktop: the recipe.

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

AFAIK this is the only remote desktop client for Linux:
http://www.rdesktop.org/
That's for the Windows remote desktop protocol and there is no corresponding
server.  If you want something with equivalent performance on Linux, look at
freenx with the NX clients from www.nomachine.com. The current freenx server
can't share the active console session though, you have to start new sessions
when you first connect and then you have the choice of suspending or
terminating them when you disconnect.  The commercial NX server claims to
allow connections to the console but I haven't tried it.

ok, i'm clearly going to have to take a deep breath and collect all
this info and collate it.  and it seemed like such a simple project in
the beginning ...

What's really fun is to cascade these things. For example you might use the NX client remotely to run a freenx linux desktop from an office machine, then in windows of that desktop connect via vnc and/or rdesktop to other machines from there. A surprising assortment of text cut/paste operations will work across the mess.

In any case I recommend the freenx/NX combination over any of the others.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx