Re: vnc.so: what seems to work

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 18:19 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   after fighting with the vnc.so module earlier today and getting a
> session that looked like crap, i simply switched directions and tried
> it from what was the server to what was the client -- success.  (they
> are not identical systems -- one has an ATI video card, while the
> other has onboard intel.  more details later possibly.)
>
>   but, as i posted earlier, here's all i had to do on the server side
> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>         EndSubSection
>         Option "SecurityTypes" "None"    <-- add
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"      <-- and add these 3 lines as well
>         Load "vnc"
> EndSection
> ===
>

>   restart X server, and vncviewer into the system to display :0.
> would someone else like to try it and confirm that?  it's working
> perfectly at the moment with full remote control functionality between
> two fedora systems.

That's always worked for me.  I have experienced the vnc server crashing
the X session when used with some nVidia drivers (works fine locally,
but if you vncviewer to the machine the X session crashes).  Rather
annoying under Gnome since the crash also wipes out any saved session
information (a successful login locally after the crash reverts to
default settings with no xterms open, pidgin, skype and amarok not
running, etc.).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                  Heisenberg _may_ have slept here                  -