Re: Fedora 8 64-bit Athlon Install- Can't find CD/DVD Drives?

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 18:47 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 11:15 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 07:55 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > > I'm trying to install Fedora 8 64-bit on an Athlon 64-bit desktop
> > > running Fedora 6. It boots from the install disk, asks about language,
> > > etc. and then strangely brings up a menu on which I'm to indicate where
> > > the packages to install are (CD/DVD, hard drive, etc.). If it's booting
> > > from the DVD to begin with, why is it now asking where the packages are?
> > > I've tried all sorts of kernel parameters (ide=nodma, acpi=off, etc. - I
> > > included ones specifically for this problme) but NOTHING helps. What is
> > > the solution? Must I replace the CD/DVD drive? If so, how do I know what
> > > to buy??
> >
> > It depends on the type of CD/DVD drive you have.  It's not uncommon to
> > have that occur when installing off an external USB drive (you need to
> > tell it you're installing from a local CD/DVD drive, wait for anaconda
> > to tell you it can't find it and then you load the usb-storage driver).
> >
> > I've installed F7 and F8 on any number of Athlons and Opterons with
> > minimal issues beyond the occasional "I can't find that storage...load
> > a driver" thingie.

> > - Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
> > - CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
> > -                                                                    -
>
> I forgot to mention that when it comes up with the list of devices where
> the packages might be, I choose CD/DVD and then it says it can't find
> any device of that type. That's what really baffles me. How can it boot
> from the DVD and yet not see the DVD device?

Because the boot is handled by the BIOS of the machine.  The problem is
that once the Linux kernel comes up, the BIOS is no longer involved and
the kernel has to do the work.  Again, you've not said what KIND of
CD/DVD drive it is.  Judging from your stuff below, it appears to be
either an ATA or IDE drive you're trying to use.

> In addition to using ide=nodma and acpi=off, I've also tied alcpi
> nolapic, noapic, pci=nomsi,nommconf, noapictimer libata.dma=1 and
> libata.dma=0. I've tried just about everything shown at:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems#head-771ff9ecee959f9145af75f70025b2060082d84f
>
> especially under "Can't find installation CD/DVD or hard drives".

If your CD/DVD is on a SATA controller (yes, it happens), then you may
have to load the specific driver for your card.

> I've also tried to run some of the Fedora 8 live dvd's (they work on my
> laptops). But after starting to run and unpack things, it drops out into
> a bash shell prompt saying it can't find the root filesystem.
>
> If I were to try to install from a USB hard drive, should I just copy
> the DVD contents to a folder on the hard drive or leave it as an iso
> image?

Create a VFAT filesystem on the hard drive and leave the F8 stuff as an
ISO image in that filesystem.

> Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Can you be a bit more specific on exactly how your system is set up?
What motherboard are you using?  What kind of interface does your CD/DVD
drive use?  What hard disk controller is it?  That sort of thing.  On
one of my Opterons (partial output of "lspci -v"):

00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1) (prog-if 8a
[Master SecP PriP])
        Subsystem: Unknown device f458:b000
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
        [virtual] Memory at 000001f0 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[disabled] [size=8]
        [virtual] Memory at 000003f0 (type 3, non-prefetchable)
[disabled] [size=1]
        [virtual] Memory at 00000170 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[disabled] [size=8]
        [virtual] Memory at 00000370 (type 3, non-prefetchable)
[disabled] [size=1]
        I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
        Kernel driver in use: pata_amd
        Kernel modules: pata_amd, ata_generic

00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
(rev a1) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
        Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device b002
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
        I/O ports at 09f0 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0bf0 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 0970 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0b70 [size=4]
        I/O ports at d800 [size=16]
        Memory at f5107000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [b0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/2 Enable-
        Capabilities: [cc] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
        Kernel driver in use: sata_nv
        Kernel modules: sata_nv, ata_generic

00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
(rev a1) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
        Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device b002
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
        I/O ports at 09e0 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0be0 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 0960 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0b60 [size=4]
        I/O ports at c400 [size=16]
        Memory at f5106000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [b0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/2 Enable-
        Capabilities: [cc] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
        Kernel driver in use: sata_nv
        Kernel modules: sata_nv, ata_generic

Now granted, both the hard drive and the CD/DVD are on the IDE interface
(this is a labrat machine...I don't need SATA speeds), but it installed
with no problem.
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                 Dyslexics of the world: UNTIE!                     -