Re: livna video drivers for idiots

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 12:45 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On some forum today, a claim was made that Ubuntu should be used if you
> want to use nvidia drivers because Fedora is difficult to install them in.
>
> I have nothing against Ubuntu (except for their sudo defaults and lack
> of a root passwd by default, but that's another discussion) but that
> statement about fedora just wasn't true. So I detailed the four or five
> lines it takes  in a terminal to get the livna packaging installed and
> configured, and the argument then was that it still was too hard.
>
> If some people really feel that way - well, I guess it could be made easier.
> I don't have a fedora box at the moment so I have only dry run tested
> this script in CentOS - but perhaps someone running Fedora can fine tune
> this and get it up onto a useful wiki?

The Ubuntu zealots are about as religious as the Fedora ones... :)

Seriously, I think the script looks pretty good based on what my little
brain can make of it.

The only things I can see from a usability standpoint is how a person is
to know which of the nVidia drivers they are supposed to install.
Perhaps a little explanation in the script such as what follows would
help:

nVidia: For the most recent nVidia cards (like Geforce4 and later)
nVidia-96xx: For Geforce2, Quadro4 or newer (AIGLX capable)
nvidia-legacy: For nVidia cards that are even older...

Also, since you know that you require zenity, as well as either wget or
curl, consider offering to install these packages along the way as a
part of the install script instead of just erroring out and saying you
need them.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra