Re: OT: unathorized network user.

On Jan 22, 2008 3:01 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On the other hand, they may have their computer set to associate with
> any open access point and not even know that they aren't on their own or
> one they are permitted to use.

I have had this happen on my own laptop, running Ubuntu; Network
Manager has connected me to neighbor's network.

FWIW: I take a different approach with regard to WLAN security: I
leave my WAP open to any and all. I've occasionally used a neighbor's
when my own network was down and I am happy to return the favor (that
being said, most if not all of my neighbors have wifi; I see 17 WAPs
at a given moment.) I *do* protect my network with a firewall; the
only ports I leave open via the WAP are ssh (public key access only),
dns, dhcp, http, and https. Hence anyone can get a dhcp lease and
browse the web -- but that's all (no port 25 for smtp etc). I have a
download speed of ~13Mb/s, which is rarely if ever saturated.

See security guru Bruce Schneier's recent blog post on this topic:

"My Open Wireless Network"
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html

--
  Colin Brace