Re: F8 is a problem

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 18:25 -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2008 5:49 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:23:11 +0100
>         Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>         > It is more important
>         > to teach where to find the documentation.
>
>         As I mentioned before, I find it quite .... unusual that
>         someone who claims to
>         have a Ph.D. degree appears to be absolutely incapable of
>         doing the simplest
>         research, or understanding documentation that contains the
>         information that he
>         apparently wants but doesn't spell it out explicitly in a step
>         one, step two
>         manner.
>
>         For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know, a Ph.D. is
>         basically a degree
>         certifying that the holder is qualified to do research.  In
>         the words of
>         someone whose identity I can't recall at the moment, "capable
>         of learning what
>         nobody yet knows."
>
>         So how in the name of the great white whale does someone of
>         Karl's obvious
>         limited abilities manage to get a Ph.D.?  Most of the Ph.D.'s
>         that I know,
>         including an EE who ultimately decided that he would rather be
>         a plumber, are
>         among the sharpest folks around and a downright pleasure and
>         privilege to
>         interact with.
>
>         --
>         MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~
>         http://www.melvilletheatre.com
>
>         --

> I think a possible explanation is that there a different learning
> styles. For instance Visual
> Spatial Learners learn by visualization and not by reading. For some
> folks reading is quite
> a chore. Some people "see things in their heads" and reading requires
> some mental
> translation.

Inmates particularly fall into those two categories. It's why the prison
system fails so abysmally when trying to use traditional classroom
materials. I agree 100% with your observation and it is our
core-mission-statement towards using other methods to teach within our
DOC's. OTOH, the point being made quite clearly is that the average
Doctorate holder doesn't blindingly suffer from either of these two.

The Doctorate degree is like a guarantee that the holder of it reads
quite handily with better than average comprehension and is capable of
independent research, study and application of the subject matter being
researched. Then the research has to be presented in written form (the
Doctorate Thesis) which clearly presents the results of the research,
which is then reviewed and held to a Doctorate review standard for final
approval by a certified Board of Examiners. That's the point being made
here. Something doesn't jive.

> Think of the student in a classroom who's watching squirrels out the
> window
> ten minutes into lecture. But once he goes to the physics lab. he's
> unstoppable. I think
> Einstein himself had this sort of problem...

Wasn't his Doctorate honorary? There is no mention of a Doctorate in the
Wikipedia. Yet Einstein did collaborate within teams. Teamwork. That's
central and crucial to advanced thinking for the likes of an Einstein.
The cartoon approach, with Einstein sitting in a bathtub and seeing
E=MC2 on a soap bubble, didn't happen. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar