Re: df not reporting correct free space - hard link problems?

Around about 18/01/08 09:32, Tony Molloy typed ...
Could be you're out of inodes on the filesystem. Try
/usr/lib/news/bin/inndf -i /usr/backup

Around about 18/01/08 13:38, Les Mikesell typed ...
> If you have a lot of small files you might run out of inodes before
> using all the space.  Try 'df -i'.

  That was, in fact, the problem:

$ df -i /usr/backup/
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/sata0-backup
                      474624  471797    2827  100% /usr/backup

That Inodes number's extremely low in comparison to my other partitions. Is it low because of the partition size (which would be off) or because I (think I) created the partition with the 'largefiles' option (it's mostly got mythtv recording backups on it; yes, I like my TV :) ).

I assume I can't do anything about it now it's in use (i.e., no runtime changing of the inodes count). Even if I did regenerate the filesystem, does anyone know if it's 'safe' to override the inode count with mke2fs's '-N'?

I've worked around the issue for now by deleting and now backing up superfluous dierctoies with wads of files in (~/.thumbnails ~/.beagle) so I'm back a decent no. of free inodes.

  Thanks for the help.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature