Re: Ahh, forget repo fusion :-).

Tom Horsley wrote:

Why not just give up on any Linux install being compatible with any other and compile everything statically instead

We tried that, and redhat has managed to produce a libc in which
it is actually impossible to statically link a working
program. All sorts of routines (pam related things like getpwuid
for one example) drag in libraries dynamically, and when they do
that in a static program, you then find you've managed to load
two conflicting copies of malloc (or something equally destructive).

Anyway, If I wanted to recompile everything to get it working,
I'd just switch to gentoo, I was merely brainstorming the idea
of a linux where you could run any program from any distro :-).

I didn't mean _you_ would recompile everything. I was suggesting that everything which is not compiled against the stock libs (as in the stuff from alternate repos) would all be statically compiled so as to not break when the stock versions do their frequent incompatible updates - and a side effect would be to not introduce alternate/incompatible libraries. When a library changed in such a repo, I'd expect the repo versions to be recompiled. The only effect on the user side would be larger updates in the cases where multiple applications use same libs.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx