Re: Ahh, forget repo fusion :-).

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:04:09 -0600
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why not just give up on any Linux install being compatible with any
> other and compile everything statically instead

We tried that, and redhat has managed to produce a libc in which
it is actually impossible to statically link a working
program. All sorts of routines (pam related things like getpwuid
for one example) drag in libraries dynamically, and when they do
that in a static program, you then find you've managed to load
two conflicting copies of malloc (or something equally destructive).

Anyway, If I wanted to recompile everything to get it working,
I'd just switch to gentoo, I was merely brainstorming the idea
of a linux where you could run any program from any distro :-).