Re: HELP: External 250G USB screwed with GParted

Hi Aldo, thks for jumping in.

2008/1/19 Aldo Foot <lunixer@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Jan 19, 2008 9:56 AM, André Costa <blueser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi François,

> > > Change the usb cable.
> > >
> > > I had a lot of error like this with a bad cable:
> > >
> > > device descriptor read/64, error -71
> >
> > But, given that it was working with this same cable and it stopped
> > working in the middle of a GParted session, I'm not sure it will work
> > (it's the cable that came with the device), but... as I said, I gotta
> > try everything.
> >

> Right about now is when I put my gloves on...
> How about taking the HDD out of the USB enclosure and attach it directly
> to a machine via IDE cable? Then partition or you could try all sorts of
> troubleshooting.
>
> This CD has several HDD tools.
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
>
> good luck.

Yeah, this will be my last resort, if I am sure the disk is considered
wasted I will try it. But first I'll try some other things -- even
contacting WD Support to see if they come up with something beyond the
usual "we don't support Linux, you're on your own" crap.

I've read some reports about the same error messages suggesting they
could be caused by insufficient power on the USB ports (looks like it
really fluctuates, and that external drives demand more power than
usual USB devices). Initially I wouldn't consider this an option on my
case, since the drive already worked on this same port I am trying now
before the failed GParted session. However, I don't know if the drive
is now in a weird state in which more power is needed...

WD sells a "power booster cable" for USD 9.99, but they only sell it
on the US =/ I'll try to buy a AC powered USB hub, this should ensure
all the power needed and get one variable out of the equation.

Thks for the suggestion, and for the link. Any more ideas are still welcome ;-)

Regards,

Andre