Re: How do i use gnome-keyring without a password prompt? (not gdm pam)

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 20:01 +0100, Mark wrote:
> 2008/1/18, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > > afaik, no.
> >
> > gnome_keyring_pam is supposed to do this, but it's not working.  There's
> > a post in the archives about configuring it so it does work, but I
> > hadn't had a chance to try it.
> >
> > The idea is, if you use your login password as your keyring password,
> > you won't be prompted.
> >
> > Why would you want no password?
>
> Well i'm the only user on this machine and i simply don't want to get
> prompted for a keyring password and i find it close to useless to have
> a password for it anyway.
>
> I simply don't want to get prompted about any password prompts other
> than the login one and the root password. all other password prompts
> (as far as i can think of) are pointless.
>
> In my case the keyring-manager is only being used for NetworkManager
> to make a wireless network connection.

I understand not wanting to be prompted.  The fact that this hasn't been
fixed (and is a regression from pam_keyring in F7) is a minor annoyance,
but I agree it's an annoyance.

But that's different from not wanting a password at all.  Most GNOME
apps that manage passwords (e.g., Evolution) seem to be moving to using
the keyring.  When more valuable keys are saved there, it doesn't seem
unreasonable to protect them even on a machine that you think is fairly
secure.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences