Re: How do i use gnome-keyring without a password prompt? (not gdm pam)

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

gnome_keyring_pam is supposed to do this, but it's not working.  There's
a post in the archives about configuring it so it does work, but I
hadn't had a chance to try it.
Every time I've tried such solution it doesn't work.
The idea is, if you use your login password as your keyring password,
you won't be prompted.

Why would you want no password?
Because you are not in a situation where it is necessary to have one, and don't appreciate some developer deciding that you have to do it their way, because they think it is a good idea to require a password.

Unless your keyring is on an external USB key, it really doesn't protect you that much anyway - just adds another layer that can fail causing you headaches when you can't do what you need to do because the freakin' keyring manager is broken.

I had Dad's WEP key in my keyring working perfect in FC6 - but the freakin' keyring manager in F8 was broken and would not connect, so every time I tried to connect, it would ask me for the WEP key and then ask to store it in the keyring (where it had already been stored in FC6) - and regardless of whether or not I would allow it to, connection would fail and it would prompt me for the WEP key again.

Switched to CentOS and guess what - it grabbed the wep key out of the keyring and connected no problem.

When the keyring is broken, as it was for me in Fedora 8 with [b]several[/b] applications, it literally breaks the ability to do normal stuff on your system.

rm -rf / && yum install ubuntu.
I bet the F8 keyring issues resulted in some of that with new users.

If you are doing sensitive connections, maybe a keyring password is a good idea - but you can have multiple keyrings, so why not have a keyring with no password for stuff that really doesn't need that level of security and use a second keyring with password for stuff that does need that kind of security?