Re: Wake On LAN on Fedora 7?

Andrew Junev wrote:

The correct way to do enable WOL is to add the following to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

ETHTOOL_OPTS="wol g"

Once this is in place, WOL should work after a normal shutdown, with no
initscript modifications.  If you have to hit the power button because ACPI bugs
are preventing soft power off, it probably won't work either way, and you should
file a bug report.

What's a "normal shutdown"?
I added the line to ifcfg-eth0 and rebooted the machine. Then I
powered it down using "init 0". And again it didn't respond to the
magic packet afterwards...

Sounds like a driver problem. Are you by any chance using a Xen kernel? That complicates things.

The reason I shut down with the power button is just because it's
easier. It's not that I hold it until the machine switches off, I just
press it shortly and the machine shuts down the right way. Is it
wrong?

No, that's the right way.  Something is buggy, either the kernel or the BIOS.

	-- Chris