Re: [OT] Video Standard Q: (Was Re: New Thread....about anything but Pulseaudio or yum)

On Wednesday 16 January 2008, max wrote:
>Ed Greshko wrote:
>> max wrote:
>>> Does anyone want to discuss anything besides yum or pulseaudio?
>>> anything at all? I wear a size 10.5 shoe. I don't like shoes without
>>> laces. I don't like thick shoes.
>>
>> Well, I had one OT question rolling around in my head that I've
>> resisted asking about.  It is having to do with displays and the sales
>> literature put out by some manufactures.  I know there are folks on
>> the list with broadcast standards experience...
>>
>> So, I wonder what "106% NTSC color capability" means.  If NTSC is a
>> standard then how can you have over 100% capability?
>>
>> FWIW, I am looking to get a new LCD monitor and have run into that
>> statement which makes me wonder.
>
>Maybe it's like giving 110%....

Or like the cartoon says, "I give 100% at the office, 20% Monday, 20%
Tuesday..."

I didn't address that bit of advertising weeviling before, but my guess is its
some dweeb in marketing trying to say this particular color is 6% brighter
than its supposed to be.  If that's the only prevarication we get out of the
average marketing type, consider us lucky.  The truth has been stretched a
hell of a lot farther than that on a daily basis, just watch our least
favorite talking mouth, hawking whatever it is he's peddling to lonely
housewives today for an example.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)