Re: Linux Friendly Hardware Database ??

John Summerfield wrote:
Michael A. Peters wrote:
Many moons ago I bough a Sony DVD burner.
It worked in Linux from day one - worked extremely well.

I finally ran out of my supply of DVD-R and bought another 50 spindle.
It will not burn to them - first spitting out the disk and sucking back in, and then failing when it comes to the burn.

I recently bought a spindle of 50 CD-Rs.

The first three I burned were in non-sony drives (pioneer DVD burners except I don't recall whether one of the three attempts were in my Mac), and all three were coasters.

I don't recall having CD coasters resulting from burn errors before.

It happens I have a Sony CD burner, came with my thinkcentre. It can burn the CDs.

Sony's on my no-buy list.

????

You made coasters on non-sony drives. You have used a Sony CD burner and it can burn the CDs...and Sony is on your "no-buy list"? Sorry, the logic escapes me.

FWIW, I've got Sony DRU-830A and have yet to burn a coaster on any media.

I've used/had multiple vendors drives. All of them "just worked". I've never found the need to update firmware. I've learned, a while back, not to get to cheap on the media.