Re: That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

On 16Jan2008 20:25, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On 16/01/2008, Kam Leo wrote:
| > Karl 's problem(s) with using multiple 3rd party repositories is not
| > singular.
|
| It pretty much is.

Karl is a newcomer, and trying to do a great deal.

I too am in dependency hell. I have multiple 3rd party repositories
active (why? not all have all packages). They conflict, as bemoaned
repeated on this list and elsewhere. I know this, and mostly deal with
it; sometimes I back some stuff out, disable a repository, reinstall
using the "other". Fiddly and error prone, but not unexpected.

However, I now have a box where I can't upgrade some perl packages.
It seems one repository has split out a package from the core perl
package, and disaster follows. Removing perl to clean up will probably
try to remove half the system through dependency mania.

| Many--if not all--of his "issues" are
| self-inflicted.

_All_ our issues are self inflicted.

| Even if his age may be true, he's still a typical user
| who messes with his installation and when seeking for help (or blaming
| the developers) only tells half the story.

Of course. We're all like that. He leaves out a little more than most,
and regrettably often fails to recite what he _did_ do when he got
something working. But everyone leaves out some level of detail and
knowing what is relevant is learnt only through experience.

[...]
| > Apparently very little has changed since FC-3.
| It would be much worse if RPM packages did not contain a list of dependencies.

Yes, but one thing RPM seems to lack, and which is IMHO a great flaw, is
a distinction between package requirements and package recommendations.

My standard example is CUPS. I help maintain some co-located servers (yes
RHEL, not Fedora). They have NO use for CUPS but the system-* config packages
require it because they _can_ configure CUPS.

If it were possible to mark some dependencies as suggested instead of
required...
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Learn from others' mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all
yourself.       - a saying they tell to all new skydivers