Re: How does yum work ??

On 16/01/2008, William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In this case, what is metadata?

A high-level file format created to be used by various package resolver tools:
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/metadata/

> Where is it on a file (package)

It is stored in multiple files in a directory with the name "repodata"
in the same place where the RPM packages are stored. To create it you
would run createrepo in the top-level package directory to make it
fill the repodata directory with metadata for all found packages.
createrepo traverses the given directory and its sub-directories
recursively.

> and how does Yum read it?

Yum is pointed to repositories via config files in /etc/yum.repos.d/
and uses URLs to access the "repodata" directories and the files
within. Nowadays there's a metadata parser for these files:
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/yum-metadata-parser/

> Does it use its own specialized instructions to access data or does it
> use some version of 'wget'?

 From the top of my head, it uses networking methods from Python
Standard Library, e.g. urllib, instead of an external tool.

> > that contain RPM packages plus the
> > corresponding metadata archives generated by the createrepo tool.
>
> How does the creatrepotool create an archive?  What is needed etc?

Put some RPM packages into a directory, run "createrepo" in or above
that directory. See "man createrepo". Notice the "repodata" directory
and the files within it which are created.

$ rpm -qf $(which createrepo)
createrepo-0.4.11-1.fc8

> I suppose analyzing how createreptool creates an archive answers most of
> the metadata questions?  Where would I find an *explanation* of how to
> go about creating a repo or a package for a repo?

You can put any RPM package into such a repository.  And yes, reading
the source would help here.

 $ rpm -ql createrepo | grep .py$
/usr/share/createrepo/dumpMetadata.py
/usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py
/usr/share/createrepo/modifyrepo.py
/usr/share/createrepo/readMetadata.py

> Where, and more importantly what is the info regarding each package
> stored in the local RPM database?

It's similar to all the package details you can query with rpm, e.g.

$ rpm --query --requires glibc
glibc-common = 2.7-2
basesystem
libgcc
/usr/sbin/glibc_post_upgrade.i686
/sbin/ldconfig
rpmlib(PartialHardlinkSets) <= 4.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1

and the many other queries that are covered by "man rpm".
Yum/createrepo do it via the RPM Python API, however, instead of
low-level C/C++.

> How does yum find it and read it?

I've answered that in the previous reply. Yum parses repository
metadata files and also queries the local RPM database via RPM's API.

http://rpm.org/  answers that one the first page.

>       * What and Where is this temp directory?

That's implementation-dependent and a low-level question.

>       * What checks are it running (you have alluded to them above)?
>       * What exactly is a *transaction*?

Transaction is a database related term here and covers the full set of
changes to be applied to the local installation *and* in the RPM
database:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_transaction

>       * What does cleaning up (cleanall etc.) mean?  Is something being
>         removed or just changed?

Roughly, there's stuff to do *after* replacing an old version of a
package installed on your system with a newer version.