How does yum work ??

Hi;

I have a curiosity question about yum.  Does anyone know of a site or
manual that explains how yum works?  I am not asking a 'man' question.
I use 'man yum' all the time.  I am looking for an explanation that is
somewhere between 'man' or 'info' and source code.

I have tried Wikipedia and http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq (and
friends).

I have used almost all of the various commands and utilities yum has to
offer, but would like to understand what is happening at some more basic
level that doesn't involve diving into source code.

Any suggestions?  Hoping some one else has been there and done that, and
can give me a quick tip or some search criteria.

--
Regards Bill