Re: Trying to rescue a hard disk -- weired feedback??

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Msquared wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:37:16AM -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
>> 1.  If you have a drive carrier, put the drive in it and see what
>> happens.  As Msquared state, changing the orientation of the drive
>> worked for him.  Maybe having the drive on it's side will work long
>> enough to get the data off.
>
>Actually, that's not what I meant.  I meant that I had to manhandle the
>drive at power-on to get it to spin up.

That is called stiction, where the parked head and the disk platter have worn
so smooth that they stick together like the machinists "joe's blocks".  If
you can get it started, it will likely be fine till the next powerdown, but
every powerdown makes it worse, until you have to use a rubber hammer to
strike one front corner of the drive sideways to break it loose.  Eventually
it won't break loose.  And may pull the head out of its suspension on the end
of the arm if hammered on too hard.  Either way the drive is toast, pour a
glass and salute it for its long and un-troubled life till now.

I would plan on replacing it before too many more powerdowns.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)