Re: data recovery help?

Dave Stevens wrote:
Hi,

I am using the recent F9 rawhide live CD to try to recover data from a non-booting Windows XP laptop. The CD boots to a command line prompt and won't run X. I don't much care. I made a new directory, /mnt/c, and successfully mounted the NTFS drive, /dev/sda1 there. [BTW, the NTFS-3G mounting correctly detected an unclean shutdown on the NTFS drive and correctly set out the command to use if I wanted to force the mount. Some nice work has been done there, this used to be like tooth-pulling.] The data is intact and my immediate job is to get it off the HD and on to a working USB hard drive. I have the external drive plugged in and powered up and I don't know what device driver to use to attempt to mount it. Anyone know? (eg, /dev/usb0??? or what?)

Dave

Do not mount the partition. Do use ntfsclone and its companions to copy the partition and then work on a copy of that.

Many times I've successfully copied Windows systems using those utilities. Google is your friend.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait