Re: Updates SOLVED!

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Tuesday 15 January 2008 15:39, Karl Larsen wrote:
Michael Schwendt wrote:
On 15/01/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
OK I am convinced. There is something on MY computer I need to clean
out. I have used "yum clean all" many times and it doesn't do anything
at all it seems.

Do you have any idea what else needs cleaning?
"yum --enable=freshrpms clean packages" or
"yum --enable=freshrpms clean all"

when you work with repositories which are disabled by default.
    How are those above different than # yum clean all?
"yum clean all" only cleans the cache for each _enabled_ repository.

When you have disabled freshrpms by default, "yum clean all" does NOT
touch anything in /var/cache/yum/freshrpms/.
    Well I did do all the manual clearing of /var/cache/yum/freshrpms/
and it still fails. So does it fail when I force it to use livna.

    It is simply a case where if you use # yum remove pulseaudio it does
but it takes with it critical files that are not easy to replace. There
is somewhere a file missing or a simlink broken. And I and everyone on
this list can not find it.

    So I say lesson learned is DO NOT use yum remove unless your a real
expert.

Karl

Hi Karl. It's not so much having to be a real expert, but being carefull, not to allow the removal of a package, if it wants to remove half of the operating system at the same time.

For example. Removing pulseaudio-libs will also remove the following pkgs.
SDL, SDL_image, akode, akode-pulseaudio, ekiga, gstreamer-plugins-pulse, kdemultimedia, kdemultimedia-libs, libflashsupport, mpeg2dec, mplayer, mplayerplug-in, opal, pavucontrol, pulseaudio-libs-glib2, pulseaudio-utils, pwlib, vlc, and wxGTK.

There is no way that I would allow that lot to be removed.

There is only one component of pulseaudio that you actually need to remove to disable pulseaudio, and that is the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package, then your sound apps will use alsa directly again, and the rest of the pulseaudio stuff can remain on the machine.

Why not reinstall the pulseaudio packages. Synaptic shows the following packages installed. pulseaudio, pulseaudio-core-libs, pulseaudio-esound-compat, pulseaudio-libs, pulseaudio-libs-glib2, pulseaudio-module-gconf, pulseaudio-module-x11, pulseaudio-utils.

Doing the above though is not going to reinstall all the deps that "yum remove pulseaudio-libs" removed. For example on my list of deps to remove above, some of these are specific to what I have installed. I use KDE, and kdemultimedia, and kdemultimedia-libs are listed. Also I have Mplayerplug-in installed, and it wants to remove it, along with mplayer that mplayerplug-in installed as a dep.

One that you might want to check you have installed is akode. Trying to remove akode-pulseaudio also wants to remove this.

Ones related to vlc that are going to be removed are wxGTK, mpeg2dec, and SDL_image. I see that SDL is also going to be removed, so I'd check to see if that is still installed, and if not reinstall it.

Quite why the vlc related deps are being removed is anybodies guess, as if I go to remove vlc, no deps are going to be removed, only vlc itself. The same goes for mplayer. The only dep that's going to be removed with mplayer, is mplayerplug-in, and that is understandable, as mplayer is a direct dependency of mplayerplug-in.

opal, and ekiga are both teleconferencing packages, and don't see how they would cause any problems if removed. Not sure about pwlib, and if that's important.

I must say that I am very cautious when I see loads of seemingly unrelated deps that are going to be removed along with the package I want to get rid of.

Nigel.

What you say is exactly right. I have no idea what the yum remove took out but did ruin the yum on F8. And I have no record or the desire to try and repair F8. I might re-load it and try to disable pulseaudio your way. I will try apt-get AFTER I have a whole and well F8. For now it's F7.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User