Re: Updates

On 15/01/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     I went the manual way. I used rpm -i rpmname and it printed a long
> list of dependents and I one by satisfied the  dependents. But when I
> tried to load the vlc file it gave me this:
>
>  [root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -i --force vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8.i386.rpm
> error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/vlc;478c1014: cpio: read
>
> This makes me think the rpm file is bad. What do you think?

Check it yourself: rpm -Kv vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8.i386.rpm

Also read up on what dangerous options the "--force" alias turns on.
The way you use that option you can really damage your installation
easily without any prior warning. It is not wise what you do. I say
that you don't need that option at all once you know what it does. The
Internet is full of examples where --force is used without any reason
to use it. Really bad. Poor advise.